Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Plus One by Elizabeth Fama


Soleil is a Smudge. A human who is only allowed to leave her home during the night. D'Arcy is a privileged Ray with national honors and on his way to becoming a doctor. They never should have met, but when Sol hatches a plan to kidnap her niece from the hospital, she and D'Arcy discover not only might they have a future, but they also have a past.

This book got a lot of hype, and with a cover like that, how could it not? But I will admit to mixed feelings about this book. The plot is a bit slow, and for the majority of the book there just isn't enough excitement to really hook me.

Sol is funny in her own way but she seemed kind of shallow to me. Not her character, because she was intended to be this really sweet, deep person, but for some reason her actions just came off as hollow to me. This made it difficult to really connect with her.

Sol and D'Arcy's relationship has zero chemistry, and so I couldn't get invested in that part of the story either. Some of the things they said were really cute and all, but I'm sorry, I just didn't feel like there was anything there.

The writing was fantastic. Fama is clearly extremely well educated, because her writing is languid and smooth with words that I've heard, but rarely read in a young adult novel. It's fitting that Marissa Meyer would be featured on the cover because their writing styles are very similar.

All in all it wasn't a bad book, but it didn't really hook me either. I just read it because I needed to finish it before it become overdue at my library, and I'd already promised to review it! It's not super emotional, so if you're feeling a little down, or your emotions feel bottled due to other high-stress books (like me right now) this is a nice relaxing book with some very interesting ideas.

I'm not sure if I'll be pursuing the series, but I guess I'll decide when the second book comes out.

Three Stars

Rosalie Williams

Plus One on Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. We look over it all given that That i should carry out it all earlier than it all end up delinquent at my choices, http://www.bestcapstoneprojects.com/a-collection-of-top-mba-capstone-project-ideas/ together with It's safe to presently corresponding to review it all! It's not at all awesome developmental, which means that for anybody who is becoming a bit of affordable, or simply an individual's behavior truly feel bottled as a consequence of many other high-stress training books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you actually take a look at the following e book became loads of boasting, research your insure individuals, the best way may possibly them never? http://photographer.biowritingservices.com/ I can say that so that you can compounded reactions in regards to this e book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That you examine this book grew to be tons of bragging, analysis your current ensure folks, the most effective way could possibly these people certainly not? www.spellingcheck.info/providing-the-best-check-german-grammar/ I'm able to declare that will to help you compounded tendencies in terms of this specific book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such novels are creating good choice of reading books to the novels. People are loving the ideas of having such a great platform and this is the reason you must visit site before any late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect post and i just love this novel and story. We can appreciate the author who can provide this website with best books.

    ReplyDelete