Thursday, July 10, 2014

Indebted by Amy Bartol


The third book in The Premonition series, Evie is struggling to find her place in the violent world of angels and demons. Pursued on all sides for different reasons, Evie must discover who she can trust–before it's too late.

The writing in this book is eons beyond the previous two books. The first two, while the plot, dialogue and characters were strong, the writing made me feel like I was reading a self-published Amazon book that I should have gotten for free or $0.99. But this was a 180 degree turn around as far as the quality of writing, and even the editing seems to have been stepped up for this novel, as there were far fewer errors. This leads me to believe that the second book was a bit rushed, and she spent more time on this one.

I loved the plot in this. I came to actually really likes Brennus, and I feel bad for him because he really does love Evie, but she can never love him. He is fiercely protective of her–a trait that I totally love–but also treats her as an equal. He fills her in on plans and while he wants to keep her safe, he allows her to participate. He's also startlingly compassionate, and the funeral scene was particularly moving for me. I love how Amy wrote their accents into their words, and I very much look forward to seeing what roll Brennus and the Gancanagh will be playing in the next book.

Reed really isn't in this book too much, but I liked all the scenes he was in. I do feel like his character may be slipping a little, because I don't feel the same chemistry between him and Evie that I did in the first book. To be honest, I was leaning a little more towards Evie and Brennus by the end of this.

Here's the thing though. People are always coming after Evie, and I love the plot, because it's exciting and fresh. But nothing really bad ever seems to happen to her. It's always red-shirts that are dying, and I feel like that makes it unrealistic. She's always crying about how awful her life is, and yet compared to most people (especially other people in the group) nothing terrible has happened, and yet they all treat her like she's survived worse things than them. Shall we recap? She hasn't been physically tortured (Russell, Brownie, Reed, Zephyr and probably Buns, though it doesn't mention it). She hasn't been raped (every girl in the Gancanagh castle). She hasn't had the love of her life turn on her (Reed, Brennus and Russell). So I just don't understand why Amy is making it out that her life is so bad. Sure she's always running, but she seems to have escaped the worst of it.

I'm very interested to see where the plot leads. I'm not completely sure if the fourth book is the last, but I think it is. The story ended with a lot of potential, and I hope that the ending lives up to the excitement of the rest of the series. I can honestly say I can't predict the ending, which is very new to me. I just hope that it's a good one, and doesn't ruin the series for me.

Four Stars

Rosalie Williams

Indebted on Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. You can find the amy Bartol and the other session with this great field. Just find the best session here and can get the revision services. You can follow the link here in this field and can get the best session here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An area of the better blog spot is waiting for your fun is waiting here. You can find the new classes with the better details. You can click for source and can find the upcoming movies in this area of the favorites and the best services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are certain books which were written by the writers for the readers whom are in love and they can explore more by reading those love books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the clandestine book centre you can easily get the book of your own choice. You can move the circle of your life more good. With this area of the http://www.bestcapstoneprojects.com/a-collection-of-top-mba-capstone-project-ideas/ like working pattern you can easily define your deal more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prominent use of the tools is done for the humans. The tendency of the firm control and visit the website for the actual t term for the humans. The feeble authority is inquired for the use of the tools for the humans in life.

    ReplyDelete