Sunday, July 20, 2014

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


Britney has a perfect life. She's beautiful, popular, and has a hot boyfriend. It's also all a lie. Alex is a member of the Latino Blood, a gang he joined to keep his family safe after his father was murdered in front of him. Alex doesn't back down from a bet, so when his friend bets him he can't sleep with the perfect Britney Ellis, he of course starts pursuing her right away. But as they become closer, and Alex starts to see the girl behind the perfection, can he keep his feelings from growing between them.

Perfect Chemistry takes place in a town called Fairfield just outside of Chicago. Born and raised in a small town in Montana, I can admit to being mostly ignorant about things that go on the in the night in cities. Gangs? Yeah, right. Not a single one in the entire state, so to say this book was shocking is an understatement. From the first page I was drawn in to the lively narrative, and the compelling stories of the two teens. They both have basically a separate plot going on during the story, until they become interwoven. It was exciting, and impossible to put down. This was a "stay up until four in the morning to finish in one night kind of read." As a perspective University of Chicago student, this book made me want to go more than ever.

Britney and Alex are both great character. The development in the book is fantastic, told from both their points of view. It's really fun to see Alex start to break down Britney's walls, and especially great when you know he's falling for her, even if he doesn't know it himself.

The issues in this book are very serious. It's not the normal teenage drivel. Alex is in a gang, and Elkeles doesn't hold back in showing the brutality of that life. As I mentioned before, I've only ever heard of gangs in places like California, so reading what goes on was enlightening, and the motive behind joining, and the impossibility of getting out all fascinated me.

The romance is fun because at first of course Britney keeps him at an arms length, and she doesn't let him push her around. After they get together, it's not all hunkey-dorey. They aren't perfect, and their lives don't match well, so the dating thing isn't easy for them. But they have chemistry, so how are they supposed to resist each other?

I did anticipate the ending, I'm not going to lie. I knew what would happen, but that didn't make it any less fun to read, or any less intense. I did cry at the end, so brace yourself. The final few chapters gave me deja vu to my brother reading The Outsiders aloud to me while we were on vacation when we were little, and that feeling isn't unwarranted. Just saying, be prepared to shed a few tears, because it's impossible not to.

This wrong side of the tracks romance was realistic, intriguing, and intense. I couldn't put it down. I literally laughed out loud, and I cried at the ending. A fantastic look into the life of a gang member, and a beautiful cheerleader who is more than a blonde bimbo, I would recommend this book to just about anyone.

Four Stars

Rosalie Williams

Perfect Chemistry on Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Great site, It the idea of each new work yet in the event that a man falls in miserable circumstance. He never gives great execution in study. Our on this site makes composing with an appropriate start and consummation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This website is so great about this topic and also so good at this topic. I enjoy this a lot for read this full So beautiful writing this is. I hope you will do better in the next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This website really perfect for the couple. and the main thing is the writing. I hope this is the best choice for me. And I hope everyone enjoy this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know more here. I help this time for the students who need to know the part of things that is so nacessary. it's so need this time for me. I like this also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get the perfect area of the chemistry with the help of whcih you can find the zone by the Simon Elkeles. I think with the help of the little effort You can look here and can understand the best policies here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect chemistry is uploaded for the youngsters. All the issues of the chemistry have been ensured to click to explore for the youngsters. The sight is depicted for the safety of the right items for the people.

    ReplyDelete