Friday, February 7, 2014

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa


The immortal rules is a dystopian vampire novel about Allison Sekemoto, and her struggle to survive in the harsh world.

Firstly, I must mention that Allison is Asian, and the girl on the cover is not. This shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but covers matching the story and characters is very important to me. The marketing of a book can make or break whether or not it becomes a best seller, or even if a reader chooses to pick it up off the shelf. I would recommend a reprint of this book with a different cover.

Now to the story. Initially, I had a hard time getting into the story. I'm always on the lookout for a love interest for the main character, and the only possibility was killed in the first few pages. The character Stick really bothered me, but upon reflection I think that was probably his purpose in the story. There was a lot of action pretty quickly, and I liked that. It set up the story well, and established Allie as a character.

I really liked the way Allie became a vampire (it's not a spoiler, it happens in the first hundred pages!) and I liked Kanin. Of course I thought they would end up being together, so imagine my surprise when they are separated early on! But in the end I really appreciated this choice, as it left an opening for a second book. The way this story progressed reminded me a lot of the Graceling series, but better. There was a lot of distance covered throughout the book, and a lot happened without it feeling rushed. The sequence of events moved smoothly and I was thoroughly entranced in the book.

About halfway through Allison meets up with a traveling gang of humans, which I really liked as a plot twist. The rest of the book is eventful and fun, though sad at times.

I don't want to give too much away because this really is a book I'd strongly recommend reading, as it wasn't the same as modern vampire books, and had an aspect of reality that a lot of them lack. I will tell you this, there is a love interest, and it end in a bittersweet kind of way. For once I really liked the ending of the book. There were other ways it could have gone, but I liked the direction it took in the end. I'm excited to read the second, though I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to read it. I really liked Julia Kagawa's writing style, and I will be looking in to other books by her as well, so prepare yourself!

I strongly recommend this book.

Four Stars

Rosalie

The Immortal Rules on Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. Very knowledgeable tips, your blog is sharing unique information....Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll continue your good piece of writing as well as. check this & this company website will help you out for any kind of essay writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I reading this post I was thinking about his skill and his knowledge. It's a amazing post. You really did a great job here. My best wishes for you. it is really important to discover more to do your hospitality for the international student as they are here like they used to be a guest of us to earn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There could have been some error while you write news letter or others educationl papers first time. But, you'll be improve day by day that is good. click this link now and the experienced guy had more chance to do that job perfectly but at the first moment, you need to get a chance which is a really useful link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book s really so awesome. In this description it's prove this very easily. na this is the final for me to visit here. I think this will be a best book for me and also for everyone who love to read story. I am waiting for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This site really a good site for people. I know this because of this working ability. I think this is so positive for the all who follow this site and I know this will make a better world.

    ReplyDelete