Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Beyond Our Stars by Marie Langager


Beyond our stars very much has the feel of a self-published novel. I didn't do enough background research to determine whether or not it is, just know that I rented it from my library.

Beyond Our Stars is about a fleet of ships sent from a ruined Earth to colonize a new planet. Originally they have no idea if there is inhabitation on the new planet, but the day after they land it becomes obvious that there are is an advanced civilization already living there.

This review is going to be very short, because I'll admit it's been a while since I finished the book.

The editing errors really bothered me. Spelling and grammar errors take away from the validity of the story for me, and are highly distracting. If the writing is already teetering on the edge of below par and par, editing errors really tip the scales for me.

Regardless of the editing issues, I really enjoyed this book. I love anything to do with space and aliens, and I did like the story here. I've always believed that the teenage generations are the ones that can bridge the gaps between species and even races. The young are too easily influenced, and the adults too stuck in their ways.

What I didn't like was the characters. The main character seemed really mean, and very antisocial. Despite her being referenced as "the most popular girl on the ship" she doesn't have very many friends, and her boyfriend is really immature. Her boyfriend was the weakest point for me. She was definitely the dominant in their relationship, and he was too submissive and needy. While I appreciated the ending and a lot of what happened near the end as far as character and events go, there were times when I was ridiculously upset with the main characters. After refusing his marriage proposal he was very mean and like I said before, immature.

There were fun aspects to the story, like the observation decks, as well as the alien—human interaction.

If you don't mind rather annoying characters, I'd highly recommend this.

Three Stars

Rosalie

Beyond Our Stars on Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. Sound is look good!The quality writing is really connected to everywhere with useful tips like your blog. this page http://www.similaritychecker.com/text-similarity-checker/ words and he literally says all of those asked question whereas people rather wanted to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing stories set in the South. Good luck in the drawing and thanks for being a reader. Do the self-publishing at very early and check here but it will let you have the freedom to do your own work by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Story writing is so much hard for me. I am a writer but this is really a hard work to do. This website is really saying this. and also they prove this why this is so hard. I have some prove also abut this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you looking for some thing so important then you please visit here. I am so much confident that you find this here and This is no doubt on this. I also know this is the best site for me.

    ReplyDelete