Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Promise by Kristie Cook


As a foreward, I would like to preface this review with a quick mention of my thoughts. Despite the review, I was drawn to this book from the beginning. I was hooked immediately, regardless of all the flaws, and couldn't stop reading. The only reason it's getting such a low review is because of the ending. It was a five star book and probably my next favorite save the ending, which destroyed all my positive emotions for the plot, and the characters, and especially the author.

If you've read Twilight, you know exactly what the plot is, minus the love triangle, and replace the vamps with angels and demons. Despite that, I liked the story a lot more than Twilight. Why? I honestly can't tell you. So let's break it down.
1. The writing wasn't great, definitely a self-publisher.
2. The plot moved very quickly, and lacked substantial development.
3. The romance was superficial, and Alexis and Tristan seemed very awkward together despite their constant confessions of endless love.
4. This was such a big deal I have to say it twice, this literally was Twilight.

They fall in love (though there isn't much development, it just happens), and get married. The girl is special even before she becomes a vampire–oh! Excuse me, an Amadis, my mistake–and they know she will have awesome power. Tristan is afraid to hurt Bella–Alexis! Sorry! I'm not sure what's wrong with me today–and so refuses to have sex with her until they're married. Alexis gets sick but no one considers she might be pregnant even after all the unprotected sex! It's ridiculous, honestly.

This read very much like a bad young adult novel save for the poorly written sex scenes.

Tristan was definitely my favorite character, though that's not saying much. The only other character with good development was Alexis, and she was immature and annoying. She most definitely didn't seem like she was nineteen, and most definitely not ready to be married and having children! None of the other characters became substantial or even played a big role. Her mother and grandmother were carbon copies of each other, and were completely interchangeable throughout the story.

While I won't ruin it for the readers, the ending ruined the entire story for me. Like I said, I was completely planning on buying the second book and giving this a five star rating until the last thirty pages destroyed everything. Trust me on this one, it's bad. I no longer have any intention of reading the next installment in the story.

Two Stars

Rosalie

Promise on Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for such kind of brilliant writing and posting. I love this blog post. I agree with you writers can learn a lot from this post. go to page and it will let you have some knowledge on the language and education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this wonderful article. Glad you found it interesting and knowledgeable for me. https://www.cheapwritingservices.net/cheap-business-plan-writing-services/ and you could say that they are really doing great in their area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful trip! Very interesting. I enjoy a variety of settings. Books are the best way to travel. view now and it will let you know about their response writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I see this book name it’s really amazing and interesting book because in this book so much beneficial material available to read here. I told to my friends also about this book and they all also so much excited to read and buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Its amazing book author write her own life in this book because she really like to cook for her family and friends. She tells us that click here www.plagerismchecker.org/8-effective-unique-content-checker-online-tips she so much busy in her life because she has kids and husband with their mother and father.

    ReplyDelete