Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Arclight by Josin L. McQuein


I would like to begin by saying that this is a reread for me. I listened to it as an audiobook in the summer last year, and really loved it. Just recently I was looking for a new book to listen to, and couldn't find any that seemed appealing! Remembering how much I liked this one, I decided to listen to it again.

So let's get started!

Marina can't remember anything from her past. All she knows is she cost people from the Arclight their lives when they left the safety of the lights to rescue her from the darkness. The Fade have been attacking nonstop since she was brought into the Arclight, and for some reason the leaders think she holds the answers to the plague that wiped out most of humanity and resulted in the ominous Fade.

The beginning of the book really hooked me, and I think that might be one of the reasons I like this book so much. It doesn't take long to get started, and isn't confusing the way a lot of dystopian books are, because Josin didn't give a new name to everything, which was much appreciated. I immediately liked Tobin, as well as the way the teenagers are more mature than normal, which is to be expected in a post-apocalyptic world where everyone has to grow up quickly.

The action does slow a bit toward the middle, and at that point it becomes a little tedious, though the relationship development is great in this novel.

I really liked the idea of the Fade, and I loved Rue, to be honest. I think he was my favorite character. The one thing that really bothered me was the hive mind mentality of the Fade. Maybe it's because I'm human and we cling to our individuality like the world depends on it, but the hive mind mentality didn't appeal to me much. This, of course, means that when the "big decision" at the end came, I was fairly certain which side she would choose, and who she would end up with. The hive mentality is too unappealing to humans, so Josin would have lost a lot of fans over a choice to assimilate.

Overall, the writing for this book really was sublime, and I very much look forward to getting my hands on the sequel.

Four Stars

Rosalie

Arclight on Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful trip! The main thing I notice when I go to other parts of your writing. this website https://www.waiverletter.net/heres-about-the-toefl-waiver-letter-and-exam/ is good for the student and job seekers to write their academic papers and resume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The overall fact could lead you into your place where you are heading though in your blog. Here http://www.paraphrasegenerator.biz/how-we-work/ you have to behave on your own things for the rest of the quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much obliged to you for offering to us,I too dependably gain some new useful knowledge from your post I really like what you say in here http://www.essaycorrector.com/look-for-mistakes-with-the-free-essay-checker/ and do on your mentorship time as it is really important for all to follow these things for life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome writing this is. I click it for this one. I hope this is the best post of this blog. I think this is. But you need so improvement in this stage. that make you more strong in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you learn more something new then this will make you so much happy about this. And now I fell like this. This site really share some thing new for me and that is so much informative for me and I really enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete