Thursday, December 26, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer



After a confusing reaction to the first book, I had a lot of trouble convincing myself to read the second. I'll admit that after retrieving it from the library I allowed it to sit dormant on my shelf for a week or so. I can't hide that I was procrastinating reading it. But now that I have I am very glad that I did.

First I've come to the conclusion that the reason the first book left such an unsatisfying aftertaste in my mouth is because of the romance that I witnessed. Prince Kai was pretty great, but as soon as he became emperor he lost all his freedom, and so the romance in the book failed pretty miserably. But I am happy to say that the romance in the second is much better.

Another apprehension I had about Scarlet is I didn't like the idea of new characters being introduced into the story. But in the end I can say I like Scarlet and Wolf's story more than I liked Cinder's. Cinder had a rather boring tale throughout this book, but Wolf and Scarlet were thrilling and so much fun to read.

At one point something happened that upset me so much I put the book down and didn't pick it up again for a solid two days. I was so afraid that what happened in the first book was happening again in the second–the romance was being ruined. But in the end that moment only made the ending more exciting, and so much better when Scarlet and Wolf resolved themselves.

It's a long book, I will say that. There's a lot of plot and character development throughout it though. It's basically two stories in one, so it makes sense to be so long. The font is rather wide and big, so it doesn't actually take too long to get through. The story is so interesting that you can blow through fifty pages without even realizing it, I assure you that.

Meyer did a good job of balancing the stories. Sometimes with story and personality breaks, the author will cut at the climax of one person's story, to something less interesting going on with another character. This is a dire pitfall because then the reader is tempted to skip that chapter (as I will admit to doing more than once), and in good writing every chapter should be important, and the reader unable to skip a chapter. As I said Meyer did a good job of avoiding this, and keeping the reader engaged.

There are two more books in the series, or that's what I've been told. I can say I am much more excited going into the third than I was going into the second. Meyer is a gifted writing, crafting a world wonderful, exciting and imaginative, that you can't help but fall in love with. If the next two books are as good as this one was, I think it's safe to say this will be one of the best works of YA writing we've seen in the current decade.

Four Stars.

Rosalie

Scarlet on Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. This a good news for the students. They can now enroll in the new programs and continue with their look what i found higher studies. Thanks for sharing this good news with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not do this in 5k. There’s a risk involve if the squatters are equipped with weapons and they harm me full article. I think 10k would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The man who have seen so much crazy stuff must be very inventive and creative..We can take some idea by watching these http://www.phrasingtool.com/our-writers paintings.Thank you very much for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
  4. The place of the clandestine zone where you can find the new book with the new zone of the fun. You can also go for the google badge with http://www.apostrophechecker.com/how-to-use-apostrophes-in-names/ and go with the new session of the books in order to scroll for the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The area from the clandestine area and you'll discover the brand new guide using the brand new area from the enjoyable. You may also choose the actual search engines logo along with discover more as well as opt for the brand new program from the publications to be able to scroll for that much better choice.

    ReplyDelete