Sunday, December 22, 2013

Graceling by Kristin Cashore


This was an enormous book. From beginning to end there is so much in the plot that I feel as if I've read multiple stories in one. While I very much appreciate the skill of an author that can create such natural flow and extended story lines, it also makes for a very difficult review.

So I suppose I shall start at the beginning.

Katsa. She is an incredible heroine, and I very much appreciate the struggle she has with her Grace as well as the jobs she is given. However I will admit sometimes she's too volatile for me to like. There is a lot of character development with her from beginning to end as far as her interactions with other people, however, there are some aspects in which she doesn't change at all, and those are the ones that bothered me the most.

Po. Let's start with the name, shall we? It bothers me, I'm not going to lie. Initially Cashore tries to paint this strong boy who is a worthy opponent to Katsa. He's big and powerful and has startlingly intense eyes. But this image wavers throughout the book, and I wish she'd put more effort into his character. In different parts of the book it felt like I was reading about a different person. Sometimes he's strong and manly but also a good friend to Katsa, and the next he's weak and kind of pathetic. I think if Cashore had put as much effort into Po's character as she did Katsa's, I would have appreciated him a lot more in the story.

There's a lot of introduction and then disappearance of characters. Most the the characters you meet at the beginning of the book aren't in the majority of it, and then when they're brought up again later you've forgotten who they are!

The world building in this was fantastic. Katsa travels all over the place, and you get a very good sense of the world she's living in. Most of the people she encounters are given good depth and many of them are quite interesting. However, I feel like a lot of them should have played larger roles, and developed stronger ties to Katsa. This tags along with the character introduction and then disappearance that I mentioned before.

The romance in this was interesting, to say the least, and not always in a good way. Po really gets into Katsa's mind, but she's a huge baby about it. I don't think their relationship was dealt with in the right way, however once accepted it was very fun. But there's also something serious about it that I hate to bring up but I really have to. There's a lot of casual sex, and Katsa even says she's fine with Po loving other women, which I don't think is a good base for a YA romance. To my dismay, upon reading the reviews of the next book, Fire, it seems this is a theme with Cashore. While I don't have anything against people having sex before marriage, this is marketed to young children, even middle school age, and I don't think that's the morals that they should be reading.

All that aside, I really did enjoy the book. It had an exciting plot with lots of action, and never a dull moment. While I wish Katsa and the characters hadn't been separated for so long, it wasn't hard to stay interested.

The next book, Fire, has some extremely mixed reviews. I have a few things on my plate currently, but afterwards I do think I'll make an effort to read it. The ratings are either five stars or one star pretty much, so it would be nice to get my own take on it. From what I've read it seems significantly darker than this book, which I think could be good, because a lot of aspects of this world were left unexplored.

Three Stars

Yours Truly,

Rosalie

Graceling on Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. Good way to teach music to kids, we need such games to create interest of kids. Thank you for sharing this published here innovative idea with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know many artists who finds it hard to get pay from galleries, this is really good and useful look at this website information for them. Going to share it with them, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the arm but fingers and wrist play the instrument. However, it all depends http://www.rewording.net/how-we-work/ how comfortable are you while playing. Try it instead of asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really it is good stuff which the parents arise at the very least in addition to be an aid to coloration this college class and it also definitely received an even better setting at this point. web page to find out more my blog useful information with publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually it really is good stuff that your mom and dad come up at least as well as be an aid to coloration this kind of school school looked after absolutely acquired a straight far better establishing now. website to learn more look at this website my own website beneficial details together with submitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When i shed myself personally from the story; the item used everyone. Although most of these cycles connected with deeply, teen-like bridal while using the word usually are considerably more vital to the good sense connected with http://biosketch.net/ self applied in comparison with almost any number of errand-running or maybe quotidian liability.

    ReplyDelete