Thursday, December 26, 2013

Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs


This is the kind of book you would never admit to liking. The name, Greta and the Goblin King, implies a kind of cheesy-ness that makes you embarrassed just to say the name. But despite the self-eplanatory name and poorly marketed cover art, I actually enjoyed this book a lot.

The goblin king, Isaac, had the strong willed determination that is often lacking in the heroes of YA literature these days. In a time that is fiercely promoting female heroes and strong heroines, I find myself missing the knights in shining armor. But what stood out about this book is that it had a strong heroin and a knight! Not only that but there was romance and a brief love triangle!

I would say the biggest turn-off about this book was a lot of the plot contained simply this: Isaac chases Greta, trying to convince her to trust him. She kisses him and almost believes him, the goes all defensive and runs away. Repeat several times.

That was frustrating because I really liked Isaac and I wanted to scream at Greta to get herself together! But in the end she managed to straighten everything out, and even saved some people! I think the finale was fitting for the story, and she even admitted her feelings in the end which was a nice change from the stubbornness that she maintained throughout the entire story.

While it wasn't one of those breathtaking books that changes your life, I enjoyed it. Despite some heavier material in the plot, it felt light, like I wasn't taking on some great burden that will weigh down my soul as I read. It was a feel-good read with fun characters and a vivid new world. If there is a sequel I am looking forward very much to reading it.

The creativity of Ms. Jacobs is extremely refreshing, and it was nice to not be able to predict a plot for once. While the stubbornheadedness of Greta did sometimes get on my nerves, she was a good person all around, and a real person. I think the maturity that the characters showed really elevated the storyline. It wasn't a bunch of hormone ridden teens making rash decisions and professing undying love to each other after knowing each other for a day. This was a real plot, with excitement and fantasy. Really a perfect book if you enjoy the genre as much as I do.

I would highly recommend this book if you can get over the cover and the old-world title, because it truly is a wonderful story.

Four Stars.

Rosalie

Greta and the Goblin King on Goodreads

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing such a detailed step by step to the linux installation http://www.sentencechanger.com/faq-on-how-to-change-my-sentence-online/. It helped me to get through all the steps easily and recover my system files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I was looking for many days. I'm going to note all of the recipes of BBQ sauce and rub http://www.paraphrasemachine.com/choose-best-online-paraphrasing-tool/ recipes and put them up in my new recipe collections. Thanks for the awesome list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very true that in a 20-30 minute interview, you cannot judge the candidate nor candidate can guess how the employer is. Unless you give them a job and they prove you totally wrong http://www.rephraseonline.com/know-paraphrasing-help-online/. You just have to present your best in the interview and you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can enjoy the new area of the blogspot which can be more good for the life of the people. Just get the new link with this area of the search and can find the new link. Just get the link with www.nounchecker.com/how-grammar-check-noun-plus-can-help-you and enjoy the new phase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the link of the Greta and the Goblin you can find the new zone of the success. You can also enjoy with the new badge of the google here. You can also explore the details and can make the link more great with the better service.

    ReplyDelete